Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cake decorating


I am sure you have all seen the Betty Crocker cake decorating commercial on the tv.  Well, let me start by saying advertising REALLY works on my kids!  They want everything they see on tv.  So, Zoe asks me if she can PLEASE get this cake decorating kit.  I would never have actually call the 800 number to buy it, but we were at Wal-mart with Mike and Lynette and Zoe found it.  Not thinking just how much work it would create for me, and it was such a bargain at $10, I bought it.  That night, and everyday after that for exactly three days, she asked if she could make a cake.  I finally gave in and help her make a cake.  You're probably thinking, what's the problem?  Betty Crocker cake mixes are so easy!  Yeah, well Brett doesn't eat cake mixes from a box if he has a choice.  So being the good wife and mother that I am, I made a chocolate cake from scratch!  I forgot to mention, I also was trying to put in a water filter under my sink, so my water to my kitchen sink was off!  My list of woes goes on, Zoe wanted a round cake, just like the one on the box, problem is, I only have one round cake pan, so it took me twice as long to get just the cake baked!  The icing was another fiasco but when it was all said and done, Zoe had a great time decorating her cake and she can't wait until I make another cake!  I told her Grandpa Roger is going to be here for Christmas and his birthday is the 26th so she can make his birthday cake!! Oh and did I mention Grandma Judy will be here to be helper next time?  

A bit of advice...don't buy the Betty Crocker cake decorating kit for your kids, you can borrow mind if you are feeling like torturing yourself!

A good friend of mine reminded me of the messy kitchen, please don't think my kitchen wasn't a total disaster!  It was!!  And without a working sink!  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute! Grampa Roger is so excited! I told him all about Zoe making him his birthday cake. He said he can hardly wait! He knows it will be the best birthday cake he has ever had, both in looks and in taste. We will have to have his picture taken with it and all 60 candles! Take a big breathe and blow Roger!

Joseph and Jenny said...

What about the messy kitchen? If I let Emily do that, it would be asking for disaster.

Yonker Family said...

but the smile on her face makes it all worth it...right?

montanawildflower said...

wow...that cake looks delicious, not to mention very pretty!

PS. We need to figure out on cooking classes. I'd love to do some after the Christmas season.